Back to school season is in full swing now. Your child is back in the classroom learning new things, but have you learned all you can do to make this their best dental health year? As your child’s first role model and provider, it’s important to prepare for the school year—including potential dental problems—and prevent them with great dental care. The last thing you want is for your child to miss school because of a dental issue. Before you’re frantically trying to find a “dentist near me” that can schedule your child’s appointment during the busy school year, take a look at these helpful back to school oral health tips.
Dental Care is Also Important During the School Year
Did you know that tooth decay is the most common dental disease found in school-aged children? It’s more important than ever to have their teeth cleaned and protected with preventive fluoride treatments and dental sealants. The best way to avoid your child from missing important learning time at school is to practice great preventive care and head these tips. Here’s a quick dental checklist to review before school starts:
- Schedule your child’s dental appointment with your Cocoa dentist before you’re too busy to do so in the middle of the school year.
- Be sure to ask us about preventive sealants and fluoride treatments to strengthen teeth.
- Make sure your children are regularly brushing with fluoride-enriched toothpaste and flossing every day.
- Make sure your house is stocked with extra toothbrushes. That way, when your child needs a new one, you don’t have to take time out of your busy schedule to run to the store.
Tips to Keep Your Child’s Mouth Healthy While at School:
- Be sure to provide your kids healthy lunches and snacks. If you pack their lunches, try to add portable healthy snacks. Some ideas could be sandwiches (whole grains), milk and cheese sticks (dairy), raw vegetables, yogurt or fruit. If your child enjoys the provided school lunches, review healthy, balanced food choices with them before the first day. Remember to communicate that it’s always better to have water than sugary, acidic sodas and juices.
- Ask our office about custom mouthguards for the student-athletes in your family. Most dental emergencies take place because of a sports-related injury. It’s always best to have a custom mouthguard made specifically for your child’s teeth from your children’s dentist in Cocoa.
- Implement a dental reward system for when they practice great dental care at home. This will help your kids stay consistent—even with busy schedules Monday through Friday.
Remember, we’re here for you and your family no matter what time of the year!
Whether it’s busy back to school season or relaxing summer vacation, you can always call Advanced Dental Care Cosmetic & General Dentistry for help with your teeth—even your children’s teeth! Contact us today to schedule your next available appointment.